Shadow of the Tomb Raider
|Shadow of the Tomb Raider|
|Shadow of the Tomb Raider|
|Release Date||14 September 2018|
|Platforms||Xbox One, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro, PC|
|Rise of the Tomb Raider||Shadow of the Tomb Raider|
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (often shortened to SotTR or Shadow) is the 11th Tomb Raider Game - the third in the Reboot timeline - set to be released on 14 September 2018. It will again be set in the Reboot universe established by its predecessors, Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider; the reboot time-line that started with Tomb Raider (2013) and continued in Rise of the Tomb Raider was allegedly created with a trilogy in mind from the beginning.
The following reason for adding it to the list has been given: More information as soon as they become available. Further reasons might be found on the "discussion page".
- 1 Release Date and Platforms
- 2 Story
- 3 Levels and Game Locations
- 4 Features and Gameplay
- 5 Development & Team
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Older News and Rumours
- 8 Links
- 9 References
Release Date and Platforms
Shadow of the Tomb Raider will be released globally and for all supported launch Platforms on 14 September 2018. There is no exclusivity deal as with the predecessor.
The following launch platforms have been confirmed so far:
The system requirements for the Windows version are expected to be the same or higher as they have been for Rise of the Tomb Raider#System Requirements.
- 32 bit systems will not be supported
Mac OS, Linux, and other Consoles
As of March 2018 no information about planned MacOS X and Linux versions are available. As with the previous reboot titles these versions can be expected about a year or even later after the release of the Windows versions, but no official statement has been made yet.
Consoles from the last generation (PS3, Xbox 360) will definitely not be supported.
At first, not much of the story had been revealed. The new logo, resembling a solar eclipse, has been interpreted as a sign that the story might revolve around the movement of celestial bodies in our solar system.
During the Reveal Events in London, Los Angeles, and Montreal in early 2018, a playable Demo confirmed a Maya theme to the game and that Lara not only has to fight Trinity in it, but also needs do avert The Cleansing, a Maya apocalypse she herself triggered by taking the Key of Chak Chel, an ancient obsidian Dagger she took from a Dig Site outside Cozumel.
From the first short trailer one can conclude that the game will be set in a jungle-like surrounding in central America, probably the Yucatan peninsula, like hinted in the end credits of Rise. The trailer also prominently features a Maya pyramid, so Maya-themed puzzles can be expected. The Path of the Stars puzzle on the website also consists of Maya-style glyphs, which further hints at a Meso-America location.
- Paititi, the Hidden City
- Brazil (mentioned)
Levels and Game Locations
Features and Gameplay
Also, Lara can now hide in Vine Walls and stealthily attack out of hiding. This was previously only possible with ground covering plants like tall grass.
Furthermore the underwater diving has been greatly enhanced. Lara can now Dive down and up, collect items underwater and manipulate her surroundings, like Underwater Pry Doors. There are also pockets of Trapped Air, which extend her ability to remain under water.
Development & Team
Older News and Rumours
This section only covers rumours and other news items that were released before the official announcement of the title "Shadow of the Tomb Raider".
History of the Title "Shadow of the Tomb Raider"
- Original Leak (October 2016)
- The rumour first surfaced on 31 October 2016 when Reddit user Tripleh280 reported he saw a presentation of something called "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" open on someone's laptop while riding the subway in Montreal. It was noted that it's not far fetched to assume that Eidos Montreal may be involved in the development process, as they are also a subsidiary of Square Enix, just like Crystal Dynamics who created the Tomb Raider games since Tomb Raider: Legend. On the other hand it might be something as innocent as someone working on a fan project or an academic paper analysing Tomb Raider.
- Eurogamer Usage (January 2017)
- In late January, early February 2017 rumours surfaced that Crystal Dynamics will not be responsible for Shadow of the Tomb Raider, as they are currently involved in the new Marvel Avangers game that takes up most of their time. Instead Eidos Montreal would be in charge of Tomb Raider. This rumour was picked up by Eurogamer in an article.
- Concept/Promotional Images Leak (June 2017)
- In the middle of June 2017 promotional images (logos) and concept art was discovered on the server of a marketing firm. This leak quickly spread throughout the community despite Square Enix trying to contain the leak. (Note: As a member of the official fan site program we ask our members to not share the leaked material!)
- Game Announcment (December 2017)
- Although there has been no official confirmation that the next game will be called "Shadow of the Tomb Raider", multiple fans have pointed out that the wording chosen for the announcement hints at the title: The capital letters spell out the word "Shadow".
A new Tomb Raider game is coming.
Driven by our goal of putting our fans first, we want you to know that it won’t be very long between the official reveal and when you can play.Our journey together will begin with a major event in 2018. We simply can’t wait to take you on Lara Croft’s defining adventure.
- 7 December 2017:
- Square Enix officially confirms that a new Tomb Raider game is in the making. Further news and a "big event" have been announced for early 2018.
- 31 January 2017:
- The game is rumoured to be produced by Eidos Montreal instead of Crystal Dynamics, the studio that has been responsible for the Reboot Games as well as the LAU games, as they are currently involved in the new Marvel Avengers game announced earlier this month.
- 31 October 2016:
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider is rumoured to be the title of the upcoming game.
- 26 August 2016:
- http://tombraider.com Official Tomb Raider website
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKLVaW_JEFs Trailer on YouTube
- https://twitter.com/camilluddington/status/974297421483163648 Camilla Luddington on Twitter
- https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/5aci6z/image_saw_someone_working_on_a_presentation_for/ Reddit Post by Tripleh280
- http://kotaku.com/name-of-next-tomb-raider-leaks-because-guy-had-it-open-1788419554?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow Kotaku Article Name Of Next Tomb Raider Leaks Because Guy Had It Open On Subway
- http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon Eurogamer Article about Deus Ex, which up until now has been made by Eidos Montreal
- Articles:2017/12/07/Third Reboot Tomb Raider Game Confirmed