Tomb Raider 2013
The next type of bow in the game is a Compound Bow.
Rise of the Tomb Raider
In Rise of the Tomb Raider Lara finds the Recurve Bow in the old Gulag during her and Jacob's Prison Break. It is the only time that a new weapon completely replaces an old one, as she does not get her Makeshift Longbow back that the Trinity guards took from her when she was captured. Together with the Recurve Bow she finds the Rope Arrows in the same abandoned Gulag office.
The Recurve Bow is a better version of the Makeshift Longbow. It has almost the same properties, but deals sightly more damage and has a bit more draw speed.
It is the most balanced bow Lara finds throughout the game. It is usable in almost all situations, especially after upgrading it.
The Compound Bow is more powerful but suffers from decreased hold time, draw speed, and fire rate in comparison, while the Ancient Horn Bow as the other Horn Bows are more similar but slightly better in the basic configuration, and they take a different upgrade path, emphasising rate of fire.
- Main article: Bow Upgrades
Upgrades in Rise of the Tomb Raider need specific Resources.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
The Recurve Bow is Lara's primary bow in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. She has brought it with here on her expedition to Mexico and later to Peru. It is a very balanced bow, suitable for almost any situation.
As in Rise of the Tomb Raider there are four tiers of upgrades available.
The following reason for adding it to the list has been given: add missing resources. Further reasons might be found on the "discussion page".
- Reinforced Limbs
- Stronger limb used in bow construction allows for increased string tension, delivering higher arrow speed and more damage.
- Resources needed:
- Reinforced Shaft
- Better shaft backing allows for increased draw weight, which increases damage.
- Resources needed:
Rate of Fire Upgrades
- String Nocks
- Arrow nocks on the string allow for quicker loading of arrows, and faster fire rate.
- Resources needed: 4 Salvage, 6 Fat, 5 Empress Jaguar Hide
- Notched Rest
- An arrow rest on the shaft makes loading arrows easier and faster.
- Resources needed: 10 Hardwood, 8 Empress Jaguar Hide
Draw Speed Upgrades
- Grip Wrap
- Wrapped grip provides better handling of the bow and faster draw speed.
- Resources needed: 6 Cloth, 3 Hide
Hold Time Upgrades
- Wrapped String
- Thin hide wrapped around the bow string decrease finger tension allowing for additional hold time.
- Resources needed: 6 Cloth, 1 Fat, 2 Hide
In September 2018 players could claim a golden edition of the Recurve Bow by liking and following the official Tomb Raider Facebook profile. For this to work, one had to first sign up for a Square Enix Account on the official web page and connect the game with it. The reward could then be claimed by clicking the corresponding "claim reward" button.