A Slope often occurs as obstacle, keeping Lara from reaching her goal. On some occasions it can also be a helper, enabling her to reach an area otherwise unreachable. For the purpose of this article slopes are steep slopes on which Lara slides down. Slopes occur in all Tomb Raider games.
Often there is nothing else to do, but slide down. Often jumping off at the right moment is vital. In the reboot games, Lara can scramble up some slopes.
- The first time Lara is confronted with a steep slope is in the first level of the original Tomb Raider. Here she finds a sloped block underneath a seemingly unreachable opening in the wall which contains the very first secret ever. There are two methods to use this block, to reach the opening.
- Stand behind the higher end of the sloped block, jump up, grab the ledge and pull up onto it. While sliding immediately press jump and grab the edge of the opening.
- Stand below the opening, face against the wall. Perform a backflip onto the sloped block and immediately jump again and grab the edge of the opening.
Tomb Raider (2013)
- At the end of her escape from the Scavenger's Den in the first level of Tomb Raider (2013), Force of Will, Lara has to scramble up a steep slope and evade two Rolling Boulder.
Rise of the Tomb Raider
- When the ridge breaks away Lara slips down an icy slope and has to use her Axe to prevent herself from falling off the cliff.
- When the old aqueduct crumbles beneath her, Lara has to jump off the edge of a slope to reach the caves on the other side. Also, in the Prophet's chamber there are several spots Lara can not reach because they are too steep and muddy.
There are far more occurrences of Slopes in RotTR, too many to list all of them here.