When attaching the grapple Lara can use the rope to swing to the other side, climb up and down the rope and turn. Since Anniversary Lara can also use such rings to run along walls.
Sometimes grapple rings are found on objects that can be pulled around with the grapple rope, e.g. contraptions that swing around and Movable Crates. (If they don't have a ring, they are magnetic.)
- In Tomb Raider Legend these spots are magnetic. Their shape is different depending of the level, but they can be recognized from their metallic shine.
- The first time Lara encounters such a spot is in the Tiwanaku level where she has to swing across a chasm to reach the other side. Later she needs to swing across a pit with spikes.
- In the Japan level Lara needs to swing across the rooftop platforms using the grapple spots provided.
- The first occurrence of such a grapple ring is outside the mountain caves in the first level. Lara has to use her grapple to reach the ledge where the guide is waiting.
- The first time such a ring is found is above the village entrance. It enables Lara to reach the roof of a hut and the artefact located there.