Race for the Iris
|Race For The Iris|
|The Last Revelation|
|Section||Angkor Wat Section|
|Location||Cambodia, Angkor Wat|
|Angkor Wat||Race For The Iris||The Tomb Of Seth|
The level is located in the temples of Angkor Wat.
The idea of the level is the race between Lara and Werner von Croy for an artefact known simply as the Iris, which will be the cause of later rivalry between Lara and von Croy. The aftermath of the events that happen here take place during Tomb Raider Chronicles, where Lara infiltrates the VCI Building in New York City, to steal the Iris from Werner in Chronicles.
The level continues the Hindu and Buddhist stylings of the previous level. Depending on which path you accessed in Angkor Wat, the level is essentially a straight run through various corridors and courtyards, avoiding traps and pitfalls.
In 1984 Lara and Werner have reached the inner parts of the temple. Werner challenges Lara to race for the Iris, a mysterious artefact, which backround isn't revealed. The end dialogue depends on the result of the race.
Right in the beginning of the level, as Lara reaches Werner, he gives her a lesson on the craving to win.
- Werner: And now for the last... You are an exemplary student, Lara. Although you have not yet learned the route to all adventuring - the craving to win at whatever cost. I throw down the gauntlet to you, my child! Whoever is first to the Iris claims the prize!
- Lara: Watch you back, old man! I warn you, I'll pull no punches!
- Werner: Ha ha ha ha! I expected no less! On the count of three... One. Two.
Werner starts to run ahead.
If Lara was faster than Werner in the race, the dialogue starts in the following way:
Lara is reading the inscription on a stone tablet. Werner arrives slightly later.
- Werner: And so, the pupil excels the master. I congratulate you on your agility. Take your prize from the plinth. You have earned it.
- Lara: In the time you took to find your way here, I've examined the inscriptions. It warns of vengeance on those who remove it.
If Lara loses to Werner, the dialogue is the following:
- Werner: Ha! I am not such an old man after all, ya? Come here, child. The mechanism will require us both to release it.
- Lara: The plinth inscription warns vengeance on those who remove it.
After the either ones of the lines mentioned above, the cutscene continues: They both are in a chamber where the Iris is concealed inside a globe-like mechanism, which needs two people to open it. Lara hesitates to pull the other one of the levers, because she has read warnings from the inscriptions. Werner doesn't believe the warnings at all.
- Von Croy: Ahh, ancient hocus pocus... Forget this nonsense and come over here!
- Lara: I don't count poison darts and triggered entombment your average child's tea party. I feel we should lend this some respect...
- Von Croy: Haa... And you are the world-famous archaeologist-adventurer, Lara Croft, ja? No! No! I am the reknown archaeologist-adventurer, Werner von Croy! And you will do as I say! Go to the wall, and pull the lever!
- Lara: What was it you said? Disrespect is the route to carelessness?
- Von Croy: I am weary of this... Pull the lever now, Miss Croft!
- Lara: On your head be it, von Croy... [Lara starts to pull the lever.]
As they pull the levers, the globe opens, revealing the Iris on its pedestal. Werner approaches it, and as soons as he's about to grab it, the tomb starts to crumble. Lara runs towards the exit, but stops when Werner screams for help. His leg is trapped in the globe mechanism, and it's starting to close. Lara's going to go and help Werner, but the globe closes before she even gets to him. She has to save herself from the tomb, and she rushes out, avoiding closely getting crushed by falling rocks in the ceiling of the exit.
- Race against Werner for the Iris
There are no special finds in the level, as it consists only of the race.